Graduate & Postdoctoral Scholar Resource Center
Dedicated to supporting the academic and professional success of all UC Irvine graduate students and postdoctoral scholar, the Graduate & Postdoctoral Scholar Resource Center (GPSRC) has everything you need to succeed. The GPSRC offers workshops and programs designed to support professional development; writing support; communication; preparation of grant and fellowship funding applications; wellness and work-life balance; mentoring and much more! To browse upcoming events and register, please visit the UCI Graduate Division Campus Groups page.
Powered by Appointment-Plus
COVID-19 Impact on Fall GPSRC Programming:
One-on-one appointments will continue to take place virtually via Zoom.
Graduate Students: Appointments are available from the Division of Career Pathways by visiting uci.joinhandshake.com and selecting the appropriate appointment type for your needs.
Postdocs: Appointments with Dr. Kayleigh Anderson-Natale, Director of Postdoc and Professional Development can be made by following this link. Graduate students may also make an appointment with Dr. Anderson-Natale if they are unable to make an appointment with the Division fo Career Pathways.
We appreciate your flexibilty during this time. If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
Stay tuned for updates about fall professional development workshops and certificate programs.
Thank you for your understanding. For more information please click here for ongoing updates COVID-19 updated regarding graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
Virtual Suggestion Box
Graduate Division wants to hear from you!
Anonymously, share with us:
* Your current stressors or concerns
* A program idea
* How can we best support you during this time?
Let us know by completing this form.
- Support during the transitions of new graduate students and postdocs to the UC Irvine campus
- Host academic courses and certificate programs for professional and personal development
- Individual consultation for career planning, funding opportunities, public speaking coaching and graduate preparation
- Resource library
- Reservable space for studying, meetings and events
- Building connections to campus resources and with other graduate students
Stop by to explore the many resources we have to offer or contact us by phone 949-824-3849 or email.
Contact Us: Hours & Location
The Graduate & Postdoctoral Scholar Resource Center (GPSRC) is open REMOTELY:
- Monday through Friday 9AM - 5PM
The GPSRC is located on the third floor of the Gateway Study Center - in between the Langson Library and the Cross-Cultural Center, directly across from Aldrich Hall. The main entrance is located at the rear of the building (facing Aldrich Park). Click here for a map to the GPSRC.
Academic Courses and Certificate Programs
The GPSRC hosts academic courses and certificate programs throughout the year. Here's what the GPSRC has going for Fall 2020. Click below to sign up.Mondays, October 12 to November 30 from 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM PST
Public Speaking: Activate to Captivate is an 8-week communication certificate program for postdocs and graduate students. Participants will learn and practice strategies to craft a dynamic and compelling presentation including:
• Overcoming anxiety
• Commanding a room
• Communicating effectively with an audience of any size
Thursdays, October 15 to November 18 from 1:00 – 2:00 PM PST
Effective mentoring is a crucial part of the academic experience. This six session program focuses on skills and resources related to mentorship. The Mentoring Excellence Program (MEP) is intended for those who are:
- Curious about becoming a mentor
- Current mentors who want to expand their skills
- Interested in having a stronger relationship with their own mentor
- Thinking about becoming a mentor in any Graduate Division program
This highly interactive program will help participants learn to:
― Think on your feet
― Engage in active listening techniques
― Create a collaborative learning environment
― Expand your imagination to lead a dynamic classroom
Excellent communication skills are essential to professional success. This includes public speaking, interpersonal communication,, interview techniques, and the ability comfortably to a variety of audiences. Click here to learn more about these initiatives.
- Communication Skills for Academics - Certificate Program
- Public Speaking: Activate to Captivate
- Interview Skills Boot Camp
- Public Speaking Boot Camp
- Communications Consultants
- Quarterly workshops:
- Networking Step 1: Introducing Yourself
- Communicating with Confidence
- Crafting a Persuasive Research Statement for the Job Search
- One Hour Presentations: Public Speaking Strategies for Job Talks, Colloquia, and Lab Meetings
- Effective Communication: Persuading Others
- Presentation Fundamentals: Giving a Good Talk
The need for writing assistance is a top priority for grad students and post docs. Writing support is offered in a variety of areas including:
- Writing consultants
- Dissertation Boot Camp
- ESL/ELL Academic Writing series
- Writing Groups
- Dedicated writing space
Schedule a writing consultant appointment online or call the GPSRC at 949-824-3849.
The GPSRC works with faculty and campus resource centers to offer in-depth workshops on topics including professional development, writing skills, work-life balance, and funding opportunities including:
- $mart $tart - Salary Negotiation Skills
- How to Work with Others without Losing Friends
- Imagine Yourself Outside of Academia
- Communicating with Confidence
Register for workshops online or by contacting the GPSRC via:
- PHONE: 949-824-3849
- E-MAIL: GPSRC@uci.edu
Powered by Appointment-Plus
To support the academic and professional development of graduate students and postdoctoral scholars, the GPSRC manages a resource library filled with books on topics including:
- Scientific writing and communication
- How to conduct research
- Writing for non-native English speakers
- Career options outside of academia