Admitted Student Checklists

Admitted Students

The Graduate Division holds a campus-wide New Graduate Student Orientation each Fall to help new students become familiar with the expectations of graduate study and navigate the many services available to them. Information on the Orientation program is available here. Please see the checklists below for steps that you need to take following admission.

New Graduate Student Checklists

Notification of Admissions Decision

Admission notification is a two-step process. You will receive 1) a letter from the academic unit 2) an e-mail notification from the Graduate Division. You must receive both notifications to be officially admitted to UC Irvine.

Applicants who have already submitted their application can check their status on their application status page

Statement of Intent to Register

When you are admitted to a UC Irvine graduate program by the Graduate Division, an e-mail message is sent to the address you entered in your online application. The message gives you the URL, username, and password for the online Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) submission system. You must complete and submit the SIR online form to indicate that you accept our admission offer and intend to enroll at UCI. If you accept our offer, it is best to complete this as soon as possible. Once we receive a completed SIR, we will prepare administratively for your arrival and enrollment at UCI.

If you submit your SIR in a timely manner you will be able to complete a number of administrative processes online (e.g., completion of the Statement of Legal Residence and applying for on-campus housing) before you arrive at UCI. You will also then be able to enroll in courses. The preferred deadline for students to file an SIR is April 15; students who are offered admission after April 15 should file an SIR as soon as possible thereafter. Please note that programs that require an SIR deposit may have separate deadlines.  For additional information, please contact your academic department.


If you cannot enroll for the quarter to which you were admitted, please contact your academic department to request a deferral. If the department approves the deferral, the department must notify the Graduate Division in writing by the second week of the quarter for which you are admitted. The deferral may be for a maximum of one year. Please note that deferral decisions are up to the academic program and are not guaranteed.